Sunday, March 12, 2006

What's On Your Plate?®

My wife and I decided to do a little personal research to find out for ourselves about all the fuss regarding HomeTown Buffet® or Old Country Buffet® as it’s called in our fair city. We felt this was necessary before we were all hit with a product disparagement lawsuit.

First some background: We are fairly experienced diner-outers. I also have some inside knowledge. Sometime back, in between careers, I worked for the local County Health District. My primary job was to train food service workers but quite often I would assist the Inspectors when they visited restaurants for routine inspections. We used to see a lot of stuff, some good and some bad. After a while you get a feel for what is going on when you walk into a restaurant. This has its advantages for casual diners like us. It can also turn what would normally be considered a great dining experience, into a nightmare. In any case we felt eminently qualified for the task.

Before this field trip I had never been to our local OCB. Years ago when our son was small, my wife took him there for dinner while I was out of town. She refused to go back claiming the food was, “too bland, no taste.” I have tried repeatedly over the years to get her to reconsider so I could check it out. After all, there are only so many places to dine in Yukimoo. No dice. Finally, after much pleading she agreed to meet me there for lunch only in the interest of research for the SC.

Our visit did not begin well. Thinking the noon rush would be over, we arrived at 1:00 PM. We couldn’t find a place to park and we were confronted by people in old Cadillacs cruising around the lot looking for the disabled parking spaces. When we got inside we found a line of people extending out the door. They were not from our socio-economic milieu.

I immediately found myself chatting with an Arkie wearing bib overalls and Reeboks. He was saying something about the negative influence of cell phones on our culture but I’m not sure. I didn’t really understand his dialect. Fortunately the line was moving fairly fast. Up at the head I could see banks of buffets. I had never seen anything like it. It was crowded with people, easily the busiest restaurant in town. This place had more business than all the McDonalds in Yakima County. They all seemed to be moving about in a kind of human Brownian motion. I can only describe it as bumper cars without the violence or perhaps a Malibu Grand Prix without the cars and the noise. There were lots of bright lights and colorful food or what I took to be food. I couldn’t really tell.

I reached the head of the line, paid the nice cashier and was told to wait for a table. There were lots of managers. I could instantly tell who the managers were: name badges, regulation rumpled white shirts embossed with "Old Country Buffet," ties and size 48 bellies erupting from size 36 business apparel trousers. “Wow! The food must be good here,” I exclaimed to my wife. I saw one waving his arms and looking at me. He apparently was beckoning us to our table. At that instant a small elderly man with no teeth brushed past me towards the gesticulating 48/36. His wife who was behind us in line was yelling something. I said, “Hey! Excuse me!” in my sternest voice. The old man’s wife grabbed his arm and yanked him back into line. I lunged for our table across the room deftly avoiding the wheelchairs, walkers and crutches all askew in the aisleways. I wondered how we would ever get our food.

Uncertain what to do next we decided to jump into the fray. It took me two laps around the track to find the plates but once I did I was throwing elbows with the best of ‘em. I hit the salad buffet first. It seemed to be the least populated. Green salad, potato salad, seafood pasta salad and a butter-topped dinner roll, I piled them high. My winsome bride, always carb-conscious, went straight for the mac & cheese, cornbread stuffing, BBQ chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy.

¡Aye, qué sabroso! After all the ridicule about HTB/OCB, we were tasting delightful, even delectable, food. And my experienced eye told me this was a well managed establishment; the hot foods hot and the cold foods cold. All in vast quantities too! We were shocked and amazed!

I went for round two: breaded fish baked & fried, French fries and fried chicken. Same result: Outstanding! My wife was so enthralled that she returned to the melee for a second helping of cornbread stuffing and green beans. Nothing could dampen our enthusiasm. Not even the large woman at the next table shoveling spaghetti into her mouth in a very unsportsman-like way and eyeing a gap in the throng. Well she wasn’t going to get ahead of me! I went back for round three to find out what my wife was excited about: BBQ chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn’t find these items as satisfying and I was starting to slow down when the toothless man got up so I raced him to the breaded fish, baked and fried.

When I got back my wife needed to visit the dessert area. When she returned I said, “I’m just too stuffed for dessert. We’ll have to come back.” “Okay, that’ll give me a chance to sample the salad bar,” she replied, “I bet your Dad would like this place. Next time we’ll invite him.”

As we finished cleaning up our plates I began to feel an uncomfortable churning. I thought of all that breaded fish, baked and fried. “Honey," I said to my wife, “I think I ate too much.” I was thankful I had prepaid because by the time we made it outside the restaurant my stomach was in full projectile mode. I saw a nearby dumpster and let fly. My understanding bride patted me gently on the back, reassuring me that she was there with me. When I had finished she pulled me quickly away. To my horror I realized that my “dumpster” was the yawning trunk of a 1979 Coupe de Ville.

Speeding back to our Viewmont Palisades enclave my wife asked,
“We should go there again don’t you think?”
“I’ll call Dad,” I answered weakly.

16 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I loved your story. It made me laugh out loud at 5:15 in the morning. I didn't know that was possible.
Thank you.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Absolutely brilliant! I so appreciate how you are able to make me feel like I am right there with you! Perhaps it is partially because I HAVE been right there with you!

The thing is, my kids LOVE Old Country Buffet. I think I know why. Our family dining out experiences are rather few and far between. When you have as many kids as we do you only go out when you get your IRS refund or when you get your Christmas bonus. But I think the kids like it because it's already paid in advance. They don't have to suffer the embarassment of ordering from a server. It's embarassing because when they order in restaurants I have a calculator on the table and I'm quickly scanning the menu for the prices and adding them as we go. Then, if they happen to get something they don't like, they feel like they have to choke it down because I paid for it! At OCB, if they get something they don't like, they can just go get another plate and try something else without risking my wrath! (Or, maybe they like OCB because I'm not there! I never thought of that before!)

Thanks, Yakimaniac!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard, I'm losing composure, actually spitting coffee up. Ask the SC, this never happens. Love the post, the "yawning" trunk I'll keep with me forever.

Wife of SC

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PA has asked me to contribute to this site, but how can you follow such a wonderful story? I ask you! On a personal note, one that perhaps can relate to the topic of food - the SC's nephew, Graham went to breakfast this morning at a midwestern buffet and discovered that all of his breakfast friends had left him for Europe...a buffet without friends can be a very lonely place!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Somewhat recovered, I can now see the humor in it. It is all true of course.

I plan to write a letter to my church board requesting Old Country Buffet® gift certificates for our pastor’s Christmas bonus. I confess I hadn’t considered this. In my old church (Presbyterian) all the pastors made more than we did by quite a margin. This might be why my compassionate bride cashiered two of them when she was an elder. But that’s a story for another time.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Well, if you mean I "checked them out"....I guess that's true. They don't allow burning at the stake here in Yakima which would have been the more appropriate result. Come to think of it, gift certificates to OCB might have been just great for those two Pastors.. As they leaned into the trunk of the Coupe de Ville they'd know just how I felt after hearing each and every sermon!

Mrs. Yakimaniac

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your review of OCB, I am a fellow hater of HTB.....I never feel that I can identify what I have eaten and therefore why I am sick afterwards. I just want to lead a simplier life even if I have to pay more for it?!? But we all must admit, it is great for the very young...and the very old. no offense to those of you who fall inbetween. Wait a minute, aren't the very young and very old the most at risk as well......for just about anything...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Welcome Saginaw Sister! Thank you for your comment.

The paradox about HTB/OCB is that it is one of the safest places to eat (at least here) for even our young, our old, and our immuno-compromised friends. When we inspected the local OCB a few years back it was number one, top of the list, of the hundreds of restaurants inspected by the Health District in Yakima County. Whatever you want to say about the taste, the staff, the clientele (certainly that the older generation can’t tell the difference between the trunk opener button and the door locks) or the prices, the folks at 1460 Buffet Way, Eagan, MN believe in clean restaurants. What are ya gunna do?

Disclaimer:
Neither the Yakimaniac nor owners, family members or employees of the Peter S. Mooney Museum of Rescued Literature, The Peter S. Mooney Fan Club or Peter’s Ashtray have any investments in nor securities related to Buffet Inc.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Ummm. Excuse me for butting in but I always start to feel a little skittish when the talk turns to "cashiering pastors." I'm trying not to be paranoid here. Perhaps you would consider making your next posting the story of the two "checked out" pastors. I'd love to hear that one!

Pax fumada
Shiloh Cardinal Man

6:44 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Shilohman, please don't be paranoid. I'm a little perturbed at Mr. Yak for bringing the whole thing up. (Don't suppose for one minute that he sat on the sidelines by the way...he served as an elder also during part of the fray.)

Without defaming anyone online, let's just say you'll never have to worry about a "snarling dog" like me if you:
*speak the truth (at least ONCE in a while)
*avoid spending tithed funds like a drunken sailor on your own personal food, beverage and entertainment & then demand that he congregation "step up to the plate" and give you more
*preach the gospel. Don't change the parts you're not comfortable with. If you don't like the gospel message - get out of the pulpit
*be concerned with bringing people to Christ, not to your church
*try to be sober in public whenever possible

Shall I continue? Let's not. I'm confident you're very well grounded. After all, you've cast your lot with the Smoking Christian haven't you?

Mrs. Yak

7:08 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Dear Mrs. Yak,

Thank you! I feel so much better now! Yes, you can leave it at that. It is all so very clear. I think I would be safe with you guys as elders at Shiloh!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on the committe that hired the first pastor who was cashiered by Yakimaniac's lovely wife. The other cashiered pastor was a distant cousin. I know LW of Y says it is all about preaching the gospel, speaking the truth and such, but I'm watching my back just the same.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Dear YB of the Yakimaniac,

That's probably best. ;-)

Kiss,Kiss.

Mrs. Yak

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, the YB of Yakimaniac speaks out! Every great blogger needs a YB which is why my own blog, "The Occasional Glass of Wine Non-denominationalist" never really got off the ground. No YB which, I think, was God's will. I look forward to some artistic contribution from this YB just as we are now enjoying the poetic talents of SC's YB.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll get very little artistic contribution from me. I only understand about 10% of what is written by SC or YB of SC or even the regular contributors for that matter. I was talking to a 72-year old farmer today who is trying to sell his farm - a cherry orchard. This place is as beautiful as it gets; a lovely house, stunning view, no neighbors. His wife is heartbroken to think about moving. He on the other hand is sick of working. He doesn't want to "have" to do anything anymore. He has had a lifetime of having to do things. He told me he wants to learn karate. This I understand. I wasn't poetic but it was real clear.

7:24 PM  
Blogger OG said...

YB - what could be more poetic than karate and a cherry orchard? I, too, tire of "having to do things." In the words of Paddy Chayefsky: "This is not a psychotic episode. This is a cleansing moment of clarity."

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home