Wednesday, February 15, 2006

An Open Letter to the Smoking Christian

February 15, 2006

Dear Smoking Christian,

It was Shakespeare that said, "Brevity is the soul of wit." In modern literary-challenged America this has first been changed to irony, then sarcasm and finally just plain edginess. That is to say, pushing to the edge or limits of acceptability.

It would be a shame if any of our organizations (Peter’s Ashtray, The Peter S. Mooney Museum of Rescued Literature and The Smoking Christian Fan Club) were to offend you by crossing this limit. If that were to occur, there would be great concern and sadness on our part of course. But how would we know? This is indeed a problem.

In order to avoid this whole messy business, (this is where you come in), we feel it would be entirely appropriate for you to call us up on the phone and let us know of your displeasure. Thus notified, we would proceed immediately to rectify the situation by removing all most some offending content.

Knowing that you are a kind and gentle person and since we have experienced none of the dreaded “acrimooney,” we would even accept an email notification. This would suit us fine and would lead to the afore-mentioned rectifications.

With that said please do not construe anything in this letter as precluding us from posting pretty much anything we want according the “Fair Use” doctrine of the US Copyright Act. After all, we are in the business of saving you from yourself by rescuing your discarded posts from the ash heap of history and if challenged will defend ourselves using every remedy under the law.

We sincerely hope this clears up any misunderstandings between us.

With highest regards,
The Yakimaniacs
Co-Directors
PSMMRL

11 Comments:

Blogger Smoking Christian said...

We have no misunderstandings. This is my second favorite blog in the whole world! If I wasn't a clone
of Bob Newhart, I would give you both a big hug!

Among my people, even this level of kind tribute is exclusively reserved for the deceased. Do you know something I don't? Perhaps I was right all along.
This cluttered garage, filled with the stench of empty bottles, cigarette butts, and the semi-angelic voice of Marc Bolan, aka, T.Rex, blasting 24/7 from my old stereo speakers is Heaven!

(By the way, my younger brother introduced me to T.Rex when they were still acoustic.)

My thanks to all!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

If you start wearing makeup and spandex we're calling for an intervention!

(The YB's glam rock tastes weren’t infallible but he was spot-on about Ziggy Stardust.)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

It suddenly dawned on me that I had better beat my YB to the punch-This first non-electric T.Rex came out in 1970, "Tyranannosaurus Rex, A Beard of Stars."

Yes, YB also introduced me to Ziggy Stardust. It's so hard for his children to believe he was once almost cool. (Can you really blame them?)

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool in a "white guy neurotic" sort of way...

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! This blog is about the Smoking Christian! I direct your attention to the previous post "Raison d’etre."

If you want to chat about the YB go start your own damn blog!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that was a bit harsh Nick. I think we all love to hear about the YB too. After all he is related.

Don't we all sort of feel this way?
I think so anyway.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, alright! But no singing!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how it is all about the SC and the YB. You never hear about the OB. Well, you used to hear about the OB from Brenda Vacarro, but that was entirely something else. If only there was a native of an obscure town in central Washington State with enough free time and bandwidth to chronicle the life of the OB!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was appalled to read that you had opened a letter addressed to the Smoking Christian. As a former federal employee I can tell you that is a clear violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1703(b) and you may be subject to criminal penalties!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I'll have you know Yakima is not obscure. It's the gateway to.....well, Wapato.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Dear Philip,
Thank you for your comments.
The OB of the SC has not been left out. It only appears so. I myself personally have had email exchanges with the SC inquiring as to his whereabouts, his health, his families and his recent 70th birthday.

We welcome him to the community! I’m confident that after a few comments he will be receiving much well-deserved praise. After all, he is the Penultimate Mooney!

Yak

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home