Saturday, February 18, 2006

RIAA Calling

I have had several requests for the music disc sent to me by my son. Realizing that this could be a legal liability for Peter’s Ashtray, I immediately ran to the local Sam Goody store and spent $89.95 plus tax to cover myself in case the music industry Gestapo comes calling. Now that I’m covered I can reveal the contents on the disc for everyone’s enjoyment. To obtain your own copy call Graham somewhere in the frigid Midwest.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
“Bloc Party is nothing if not right on time. These four South London blokes seamlessly fuse all that's momentarily cool, merging the choppy post-punk licks of Interpol, the dance-friendly jangle of Franz Ferdinand, and even a touch of Saddle Creek-style political banter.” Peter Gaston, Spin.com

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Remixes
“Various remixes collected by Graham from the club scene in Ibiza.” Yakimaniac

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree
“Since From Under the Cork Tree, their hook-heavy third album, crashed the Billboard Top 10 the week of its release in May, the quartet have become the go-to act for an emerging tweener generation obsessed with Green Day and down with Kanye, kids who expect a punk band to come with both an attitude and a clothing line.” Andy Greenwald, Spin.com

Gorillaz - Demon Days
“While the maestros behind Gorillaz spend too much time acting like monkeys, the guise gives Damon Albarn and new addition Danger Mouse the leeway to produce a vivid, spastic concept album about the last primates to survive the apocalypse. From the glimmer funk of "DARE" to the power riff of "O Green World," Demon Days is a sinister, slinky folk-disco-hip-hop-Afro-pop-punk expedition through badly damaged terrain -- the kind of postapocalyptic landscape where you might wake up to discover the Statue of Liberty at your feet.” Spin.com

Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor
“Almost eligible for an AARP membership, Madonna forges relentlessly ahead with her disco-cum-techno sound for the dance hall mavens in all of us. Notable is the CD artwork depicting Madonna in various stretching routines that would make even the likes of Jane Fonda jealous.” Yakimaniac

The Faint - Wet From Birth
“Mining the Eighties for synthy dance beats to fuse with darker alternative rock leanings seems so natural this year that it's easy to forget just how alien the Faint sounded when they did just that with Blank-Wave Arcade five years ago. Even Danse Macabre, released in 2001, raced ahead of the chic curve that exploded this year with albums by the Killers, Franz Ferdinand and others. But the Faint's new set, Wet From Birth will enter this world to find that listeners have finally caught up with the Omaha band.” Andrew Dansby, Rollingstone.com

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the effort! Still looks like a must have disc. Graham, consider yourself called....Yakimaniac should have his own music review column, somewhere. I thought it stood up well with the heavy weights, especially the reference to Jane Fonda. Off to church, I need a extra help this week. Wife of the SC.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Depressing observations from reading your musical review:
1) Which are the names of the bands and which are the names of the albums?
2) Do the names of the bands actually mean anything to the people who listen to them?
3) Isn't Interpol and international policing organization?
4) Mining the eighties? I thought I remembered the eighties! Is that what was going on in the eighties and I just missed it?
5) I do remember the movie with the Statue of Liberty in the sand. Does that count for anything?
Conclusion:
(Please note the neat sermon outline of introduction, five points, a lame joke, and a conclusion)
I'm too old to be trying to minister to this generation. I wonder if Peter's church needs pastors?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

My guess is that you're probably doing fine right where you are. Besides, to be on staff at Peter's church one must be fluent in N'ahuatl.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many days have passed and nothing new on either blog...now I'm getting depressed! But, I know how hard it is to keep coming up with fresh material...that is why I have been using the same old material for the past 51 years. "do do do the da da da"

10:36 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Sorry YB. We've been out of town and "Mr. Yakimaniac" has been under the weather. The SC will undoubtedly be back online when he's done packing up the extension cords.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Oh baby, yes indeed, this moving thing is more jarring than I anticipated. Now I just pray for no loss of life.
I just needed to chime in and say I love shiloman's comment regarding the "sermon outline."
I hereby appoint him Cardinal in the Church of the Smoking Christian. I will make his responsibilities clear yet numerous in ensuing months. Please join me in celebrating his new elevation.

PS: I hope Yak Man feels better! We need him too! He's one of the "Chosen." I'm waiting to see what color smoke comes out off my butt in order to determine if I make him Pope, Dali Lama or Big Cutter of the Sacred Cheese. Whatever it is, we will all be equally excited.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

First, I'd like to thank the Smoking Christian for seeing ecclesiastical qualities in me that no one has ever seen before. I promise that I will attend to my duties as the first Cardinal of the Church of the Smoking Christian with appropriate energy. It is a great honor. You like me! You really like me!

Second, when I was at Wheaton Grad School I registered for N'ahautl 101 but then realized that I might end up with a dorm named after me and stuck with Greek. Besides, being introduced to all of the aforementioned music by the YB of the SC left little time to study the more complex subjects.

Third, I don't have time for this because the SC is moving tomorrow and I have duties as Cardinal to take care of. We need to tear down the spiritual walls of separation that have been erected at the Fullerton city limits so our founder will encounter no hindrance to his victorious homecoming. Fullerton, lift up your heads, O ye gates...

Fourth, I would like to convene the first solemn assembly of the college of cardinals in Laguna Beach during the first week of March. You can't really expect me to think well and serve faithfully back here all winter, can you?

11:12 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Very humorous! I was beginning to think that everyone was as depressed as I over Peter's move to Fullerton.

I volunteer to be our new Cardinal's prothonotary. I look marvelous in yellow!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Prothonotary, n,. the Roman Catholic official in charge of the registry of pontifical acts, canonizations, and the like. [Medieval Latin prothonotarius < Medieval Greek protonotarios < protos, first + Late Greek notarios, clerk, notary.

Yakimaniac, I gladly accept your offer to serve as prothonotary, pending any future promotion of your worthy person contemplated by the SC. (I just wanted to make sure everyone new that prothonotary wasn't another word for altar boy.)

Shiloh Cardinal Man

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home