Tuesday, November 14, 2006

When Cool Becomes Uncool


There is a corollary that says, “If you wait long enough anything will be out-of-date.” (I’m not sure why I put this in quotation marks because I just made it up.) This little bit of wisdom has kept me from purchasing many frivolous, albeit desirable, things. In other words, if I want something really bad I just wait a while and it will pass.

I have been into digital music for many years now. Way back in the mid-90s when Winamp was still privately held by its seventeen year old inventor, Justin Frankel, I downloaded a free copy of his player, paid $25 to download a wav ripper and started furiously sharing mp3 music files with friends. A co-worker and I rigged a campus network between buildings using old telephone wire and bits of Cat-5 twisted-pair whenever we could find it. A whole new world of networking, shared music files, and email was opened to us. It was heady stuff because we were discovering and applying as we went along. After we learned about IP addresses we hacked (yes I did use that word and yes I did) into the company main-frame which enabled us to connect it to anyone with a PC—including our bosses—saving them a boatload of money and bypassing the vendor. But I digress.

When the geniuses at Apple jumped on the digital music bandwagon with iEverything, my son had to have an iPod. I thought it was an extravagance and said so. Cool, but a pricey bit of entertainment nonetheless. He bought one with his own money—10 gigabytes, $389; American.

When he showed me how, with a $39 FM attachment and a bit of Velcro stuck to the dash of his car, it could replace his AM/FM CD player I was star struck. I had to have one. Unfortunately wanting and getting were two different things. I couldn’t afford one so I waited. And I waited. I was missing cool and not very happy about it. A couple of years went by and my company upgraded my trusty old, indispensable PDM. My new Palm TX played mp3s, videos, kept my calendar, surfed the Internet, displayed my emails and had a memory card slot for all my favorite tunes. It wasn’t iPod cool but it was a utilitarian dream.

Last week I was browsing at Costco and stopped dead in front of a massive pallet of iPods in blister packs. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Sixpack who live in a single-wide down on Tide Flats Drive were picking up a couple of iPod Nanos for Christmas stocking stuffers. In that instant I realized I did not want an iPod. Any iPod. Ever. iPods were no longer cool. For a person who routinely goes from uncool to almost cool and back to uncool in the same 8 hour workday, it was a revelation. I had waited long enough and I was triumphant!

7 Comments:

Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

This could be my life too. I get it from my dad. We were the last people on our street to get a color TV because "they weren't going to last anyway." But by the time we got one the bugs had been worked out and they were much cheaper.

This inherited caution has probably cost me a fortune in various investment opportunities during my life. (For example, while I was at the Harvard of Christendom I had a chance to buy a WWII Indian motorcycle still packed in its army crate for $100 but I passed on it.) At the same time, I have probably saved a small fortune by passing on 8-Track, Beta format VCR, mini-CDs, and many other things. Add to that the money I saved by being the last to get the stuff that has lasted and I think I am better off!

What do you think?

6:44 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I agree with you absolutely! I was shocked to learn one day that the Wizard of Oz was filmed in color. I had seen it so many times in B&W on the family Magnavox that I hadn't a clue! (So stunned was I that I actually thought Ted Turner was up to his old colorization tricks.) Like a moron I asked everyone if it was in color originally! (Mrs. Yak informs me that it may have been in B&W. Sheesh! Then she says, "Don't worry, if you're wrong the Ogman will correct you.")

Your examples are right on the money. Are you saying that poverty is cool? Or just frugality.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to beat Ogman to the punch...the original Wizard of Oz that aired in 1939 was in fact produced in Technicolor. We all just thought it was black & white and later colorized because all of our television sets were black & white back then.

Sorry Oggie to steal your thunder...

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, the Wizard of Oz was filmed in 2 parts...heck, everyone knows this, but here I am explaining it to our little world...1st part was Dorothy on the farm using b&w, 2nd part was Dorothy in the land of Oz using color. There is more to the story, but I'll let OG pick it up from here.

Now, what I really, really wanted to say was the fact that I cannot bring myself to replace my little 19 inch color tv downstairs. I am anxious to buy a flat screen LCD Sony, Panasonic or some such name...but, the longer I wait the better the screens keep looking to me as I pass them by at the various stores.

On my death bed I just know that I'll be looking up in the ER and viewing my final, but most exciting screen to date. But, I can wait!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

The lovely wife and two adorable children all have ipods. Not me.
In my twisted little mind all modern technology further isolates us from one another. It's like C.S. Lewis's vision of Hell. People keep moving further and further away from each other until they are completely alone.

Yes, I am the very picture of this Hell on Earth. But please remember it was not by choice.

9:15 AM  
Blogger OG said...

Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest where we are spending the week of Thanksgiving with the senior OG and visiting various friends and family members.

I wanted to post on Tuesday, but found myself in Toronto being subjected to intense reindoctrination at my employer's mothership, with none of the required technology. I am only able to submit this because of the temporary availablity of my daughter's laptop and a neighbor's unsecured wireless network.

First, if the definition of "uncool" is being found in a Costco blisterpack, then my entire life is uncool.

Second, YB beat me to the punch, and is almost completely correct. The Wizard of Oz was filmed in Technicolor, but the start of the film was sepia-colored to visually show the contrast of Dorothy's dull farm life compared to the world of her dreams over the rainbow. Unfortunately, our parent's B&W TVs did not do justice to this artistry, but the 50th anniversary DVD shows it as it was intended.

Third, I want to wish all of the quad-bloggers and their families a very happy Thanksgiving. Among the many things I am thankful for are you.

Fourth, because I will be without the necessary technology, I will be unable to use this vacation week to post to my own blog. I do have the beginnings of a draft saved which I have tentatively titled, "Flirting with Fitness, Redux." Look for it sometime before Christmas at a blogspot near you!

OG

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have an iPod either, but if I did, it wouldn't make me cool. At least, that's what my daughter told me. :)

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home