Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ed Bradley Comes To Jesus

Tonight in a CBS 60 Minutes exclusive, Ed Bradley sits down to a revealing interview with Jesus Christ.

Hello Ed.
Hello sir. It’s so great to finally meet you!
Ed…
Excuse me, but before we begin I’d like to ask you a question.
Yes?
How is Mike doing?
Ed, Mike Wallace is still living.
Oh! Sorry, my mistake.
Ed you say it’s good to meet me…
Yes, you’re such a famous person I’m just thrilled to…well you know, to meet you in person.
You mean thrilled to find that I’m a real person.
Well sure. You know, there are many people who don’t think you, uh exist, existed!
Don’t you remember me?
What? I don’t…
Don’t you remember all those times I spoke with you? Remember when your mother died?
I was devastated.
I remember. You considered suicide and you thought maybe you should call the, “only religious person I could ever talk to,” your old college roommate.
That’s right!
You didn’t do either.
Well I got busy.
Yes I remember that too. You took a new assignment in New York.
Wow, you remem, know a lot. I guess that makes sense, sorry.
Do you remember the young woman who lived down the hall in your apartment building?
Vaguely.
I know you do. Newly widowed? Two children?
Yeah.
I remember you thought about lending her some money and speaking to the Super about letting her stay a couple of months—just until she could find another place. You didn’t do either.
I decided not to get involved. Hey, was that you putting those thoughts in my head?
Ed, remember when you did that piece on the small church in Moncks Corner?
Sure. North of Charleston. A good hard-hitting story. They had to meet in the locker room of a high school gymnasium because it was the only building left standing after Hurricane Hugo.
The same. Do you remember what the minister said?
Not sure…
He was speaking from my word in the 25th chapter of Matthew.
Sorry I don’t know that passage.
What do you remember Ed?
Well he said…he was basically urging his parishioners to put aside their own losses and go out into the devastation and care for others, for their neighbors.
What did you think about that?
At first I was incredulous. I mean here were these people who had lost everything, being asked to sacrifice for others.
Then what?
I don’t know. I just couldn’t understand it.
Did the minister give an invitation?
A what?
Did it seem like the minister was speaking directly to you?

Ed?
Yeah.
And?
Well he made me uncomfortable! Besides I had heard that stuff before. I could feel myself losing perspective. Journalistic, you know, professional distance. I felt I was being drawn in and I just couldn’t imagine me being susceptible. Look I had a career, a responsible position. People were depending on me. I chalked it up to the emotion of the moment. I had to turn away.
Goodbye Ed.
Wait! Give me just one more chance? Let me go back home and tell all my friends about you. Think of all the good I could do! As you know I am respected there. People listen to me. I got 19 Emmys. Come on. Give a guy a break! Hello? Hey, is anyone there? Anyone?



Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic

7 Comments:

Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

Absolutely one of the best posts I have ever read anywhere. There should be some kind of award for such a brilliant piece. Thanks.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You may be preaching to the choir...or maybe not, you never know.

You have an incredible imagination and a better understanding of the legacy of this man than I do...I quit watching 60 Minutes when I realized that a few minutes with Andy Rooney was a few minutes too many.

7:30 AM  
Blogger OG said...

I agree, simply brilliant! This one post with its richly detailed insight into the side of Mr. Bradley's life none of us knew about completely justifies your defying all those restraining orders.

Stalker, indeed! Ed did not recognize you for the biographer you are.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Thank you all for your generous comments! Mrs. Yak has her Katie Couric and Al Haig and I had my Ed Bradley.

By the way, PLEASE do not let Peter's mother, Paula Mooney, know about this post. I was over at her site yesterday and noticed she had posted a glowing tribute to Ed. I think if she read mine she would be displeased. As a certified WASP, who needs more enemies?

2:59 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Do you mean Al "I'm in control now" Haig? You must be kidding!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

The very same. Knowing him was one of my "brushes with fame" growing up (that and double-dating to the Senior Prom with Katie Couric, but that's another story...).

General Al "I'm in control here" Haig lived two houses down from us growing up in Arlington, Virginia. As I walked to the school bus stop every morning, the White House limo was parked out front ready to whisk him to his job as Chief of Staff at the Nixon White House.

I spent a lot of time with his kids terrorizing the neighborhood. You'll be happy to know I played a critical part in our country's history. When "Al" would come home from a difficult day dealing with Watergate, he liked nothing better than to have me play Beethoven on his piano to calm his nerves. I'm partly responsible for helping him remain...."in control". :-)

Mrs. Yak

7:33 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

...I'd be happy to tell you about my visit just up the street with John Glenn and his wife Annie after his historic orbit around the earth too if you'd like!

You know how Forest Gump showed up in the movie at all the famous events in national history? That was me! LOL

Mrs. Yak

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home