Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ode to Patti Jo

Peter S. Mooney – circa 1973
Catalogue #3-PSM73-L36

Patti Jo
She’s been living in her uptight world
I bet she never had a tan beach boy
I bet her mamma never told her why

I’m gonna try to get Patti Jo
She’s been living in her Midwest world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she’s looking for a tan beach boy
That's what I am

And when she knows what
She wants from her time
And when she wakes up
And makes up her mind

She'll see I'm not so rough
Just because
I'm in love with Patti Jo


In the early 70’s PSM was on the rebound from a wrecked relationship when he visited Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois where his brother set him up on a date with a coed. What we know is sketchy but this new relationship ended before it began. So also the lyric is unfinished but it tells of the complex emotions, inner turmoil yet firm resolve, lost love and yearning passions of a young man in search of Midwestern sensibilities.

The story and context surrounding this piece is lost to history but it clearly illustrates Peter’s emerging gifts as a writer as well as a propensity for unrealized potential.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one (and perhaps the only one for now, but many will follow I'm almost sure) am loving this stuff. A big smile has come over my face and it won't go away, and it's not just gas. Thank you for digging up this old stuff, right off of memory lane, then take a hard left at senile avenue, a u-turn at Adult A.D.D. and there you are...with all this stuff!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Dear YB,
Thank you for your kind comment.
Can pictures of those good old days be far behind? Stay tuned.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The story and context surrounding this piece is lost to history but it clearly illustrates Peter’s emerging gifts as a writer as well as a propensity for unrealized potential."

...or flamingos landing on power lines.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

"Hello, hello!
I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello"

5:28 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

At last! Our humble little blog is acknowledged by the master himself! O Happy Day!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is sort of a second-hand smoking christian blog? I've heard this stuff can kill you!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yakimaniac...you bring back all the old memories. The lovely ladies of Wheaton. Ahhhh, yes. How could we forget. I was recently with YB of SC and we comiserated. But Patti Jo, Peter, she is special! I would love to hear you guys sing those lyrics!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

"BF of the YB of the SC?" Boyfriend of the YB?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

It hardly seems fair that you're having more fun over here than I'm having over there on my blog.

Is it because you all have jobs? Is that it? Is it more fun to goof off on the Internet when you're getting
paid?

I bet that's it.

Come on! Feel sorry for me just one more time! Did I tell you that we have to move from here? (Oh, that's right, about four thousand times.) Did I tell you that I have the heartbreak of psoriasis? Well,
it's not really that heartbreaking...

I give up. Go have your fun.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

We are starting to have second thoughts about this project. We have so much material and so little time. During the day we are like walking zombies for lack of sleep. Every night it’s the same: sorting, cataloging and editing. The pizza delivery guy is one of the family. If we had had any idea you were so prolific we might have hired a gardener, a housekeeper and a pool boy. Know any?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

As you know, I am desperate for work. Obviously, the job I'm best suited for is your opening for a pool boy.
But my better instincts inform me that this "job opportunity" is really just a ruse to lure me into your sex slave business.

When can I start?

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home