Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Good Stuff

What would it be like to get 111 comments on one of your posts? That’s right, I said, “One hundred-eleven!” Recently I visited a blog called New York Hack. It’s a blog by a New York City cab driver, a woman, who takes pictures in the course of her day and adds her comments about situations that occur along the way. She has lots of readers.

I visited her blog sometime later and to my shock she had 319 comments! This on a post announcing her book deal. I didn’t realize this was possible. I should have. Publishers are eager for the novel and the unique. Then again maybe it's just New York. I once bought a book about a New York City locksmith. I thought it was interesting so I gave it away as a gift.

Is it possible that a publisher would be interested in a former ad exec who smokes fish in his garage? I hope so. Maybe it's Los Angeles too. I once rented a movie about a guy who ended up in a bad section of LA after a Lakers game. He was rescued by a tow truck driver but I was so unnerved by all the bad things that happened in the first half of the movie that I missed all the good stuff in the second half.

Let’s make a deal: if you stick around for all the good stuff to come, I’ll do the same.
Shake?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Yak, That movie was 'Grand Canyon.' Right? So good.
SYS

4:34 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

You got it! Steve Martin.

Mrs. Yak had to tell me all about the second half. I'm such a weenie!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I feel like you're talking to me. But, if you are, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. Perhaps you could help me out here.

I was going to ask my yb who was here earlier to call you up and ask. But, he was too busy insisting I play his "Asia" CD. Obviously, I had my hands full trying to explain to him exactly why it was not my favorite passtime. You understand.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Yes you are correct my dear friend.
The proverbial “Olive Branch” it is.

I was certain that the reason for your silence after your Dear Chester Field post was because I had offended you in my insipid/unclear/fragmented/turtle kind of way. Then I thought, “No he’s threatened this before and he wants sympathy.” So I wrote a long post about a conversation between people at a corporate meeting discussing what your problem was but it cut rather close to the bone in a possibly upsetting/tepid/unclear sort of way and I thought better about publishing it. I called the YB. (Don’t bother asking the YB anything about the state-of-mind in Yukimoo. He’s on my payroll.)(Just a little joke.)

It was a short conversation: he participating in a novena at his church and I sitting with my bride at our local hospital awaiting the results of x-rays—broken ribs. In any case, the YB assured me that I was probably in the clear. (You couldn’t be better served had you had ten siblings, I swear!)

So anyway, that’s it. I’m glad to see you are back to your old scribbling self. And “two snaps up” to Winston Dunhill and Mary Mac for their encouraging words. If ever I offend please send me an email, (I think I said this once before but it bears repeating) and ring my bell; I actually do mean what I write on occasion.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

I guess I must be stupid because I've never felt offended by any of your comments or postings.

What am I missing?

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

OK. Who has the broken ribs and how did it happen? You must be engaging in some form of physical exertion that is dangerous and adventuresome! This would be good for at least one posting!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

SC, I guess I am the one missing. I resolve to work harder at being more offensive.

Sadly Mrs. Yak is in a bad way. Tuesday night we were coming into the house from a night of uninhibited clubbin' when Mrs. Yak failed to negotiate the top-most step of the stairs leading from the family room to the kitchen. Gravity and the hard floor has dealt her six to eight weeks of painful recuperation. The bright side is that she now has the opportunity to join Rush Limbaugh and Gary Busey in the pantheon of abusers of controlled pain-meds. Probably not. As a mom she has demonstated her ability to endure pain.

"Ya got your housework done honey? I'm off to the ski-slopes, see ya later!"

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home