Sunday, July 30, 2006

Songs That Stick In Your Head

Inspired as usual by the Smoking Christian, I have compiled a short list of songs that stick in your head. A strange but frequent phenomenon, songs that stick in your head affect everyone.

Why does this occur? I suppose it has something to do with the song itself. Repetitive and stupidly simple seems to be two common characteristics. Also they are played/sung ad nauseam by DJs and church choirs. You hear them a lot.

Everyone has developed a technique for avoiding them. I have mine. First I eliminate the source (this is difficult when in church), then I start humming an equally obnoxious tune from the list below and finally I sing the Ave Maria at the top of my lungs until purged.

Here is my list. (You’ll note that I have avoided advertising jingles like “You deserve a break today, so get up and get away to McDonalds…” and “Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener, that is what I’d truly like to be…” and “See the USA in your Chevrolet…” so as not to give offense to the beloved ad execs among my readers—mind control artists of the underworld though they may be.)

Put the Lime in the Coconut by Harry Nilsson
Yellow Submarine by The Beatles
It’s a Small World by Robert and Richard Sherman
The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens
That's the Way I Like It by KC and the Sunshine Band
The Little Drummer Boy by Davis, Onorati and Simeone
Jesse’s Girl by Rick Springfield
Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus
Tie a Yellow Ribbon by Tony Orlando and Dawn
I Shot the Sheriff by Eric Clapton
Do Re Mi by Rodgers and Hammerstein
I Exalt Thee by Pete Sanchez Jr.
Anything by the Steve Miller Band

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed Paul McCartney's Band on the Run. Aaaaaarrg!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Quite right!

I feel your pain.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

7:41 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

I don't remember hearing that one. Hope I never do.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Here's mine. It's from David Peal and the Lower Eastside.

"Happy Mother's Day!
Happy Mother's Day!
I am your son,
I am a run-a-way
Call me a bastard
Call me a bitch
You are made of plastic
You are filthy rich!

Oh...Happy Mother's Day!
(Repeat ad naseum.)"

This album was quite the underground hit when I was in high school. Tragically, I sing it constantly.
For some reason, John Lennon also picked up on this group and would have them play as his backup band I believe. I think he believed these guys were fun. They also sang a song about Marijuana. The words are not difficult to memorize.

"MARA
MARAJUANA!
MARA
MARAJUANA!
I LIKE MARIJUANA
YOU LIKE MARIJUANA
WE LIKE MARIJUANA TOO!"

(REPEAT AD NASEUM)

After all the legal clearance issues are settled with all of the various artists, who in many cases are dead or lost so it's not easy, these two songs will be on "The Official Soundtrack of the Smoking Christian's Garage--NOW THAT'S CRAPPY MUSIC! VOL. I"

By the way, did you send me a mix cd with your huge and generous shipment? I can't figure out who did. Anyhow, it's great! I accidentally brought it over to Mark's house recently and we really enjoyed listening to it.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

So good to hear from the SC! I am thinking I definitely need to have a copy of "The Official Soundtrack of the Smoking Christian's Garage--NOW THAT'S CRAPPY MUSIC! VOL. I." We can sing and dance to it at our reunion in Chicago with Pastor Dave.

Yes I believe you are speaking of the infamous music disk provided by the YS of the Yakimaniacs back in the day. (I think Graham had something to do with it too.) I reviewed it on my blog here:
http://petersashtray.blogspot.com/2006/02/riaa-calling.html

9:21 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Sorry. Links don't work well here. I reviewed it on Feb. 18, 2006. You can find it in the archives.

9:25 AM  
Blogger OG said...

Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen.

It was playing in Old Navy last week and I still can't get it out of my head (ELO).

12:55 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Og!! I'm all atwitter with excitement! You have graced my humble blog with a comment. And a darned clever one at that! Blessings be upon you!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Oh man! My three daughters get going on The Lion Sleeps Tonight and they just can't stop. It's not only in their heads; it's in every room in the house and they sing in three part harmony! Some youth pastor somewhere has put the lyrics to Amazing Grace to the tune of the Lion Sleeps Tonight. He should be shot!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Oh wow! I can't imagine. Hearing A.G. to that tune would completely ruin my week. In fact I'm going to forget I even heard the suggestion............


"In the jungle the mighty jungle a wretch like me sleeps to night..."

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home