Saturday, July 08, 2006

Waiting for Og

A Tragicomedy

SHILOHMAN:
What do we do now?
YAKIMANIAC:
While waiting?
SHILOHMAN:
While waiting.
YAKIMANIAC:
We could do our exercises.
SHILOHMAN:
Our movements.
YAKIMANIAC:
Our elevations.
SHILOHMAN:
Our relaxations.
YAKIMANIAC:
Our elongations.
SHILOHMAN:
Our relaxations.
YAKIMANIAC:
To warm us up.
SHILOHMAN:
To calm us down.
YAKIMANIAC:
Off we go.
SHILOHMAN:
That's enough. I'm tired.
YAKIMANIAC:
We're not in shape. What about a little deep breathing?
SHILOHMAN:
I'm tired breathing.
YAKIMANIAC:
You're right. Let's just do the tree, for the balance.
SHILOHMAN:
The tree?
YAKIMANIAC:
Your turn.
SHILOHMAN:
Do you think God sees me?
YAKIMANIAC:
You must close your eyes.
SHILOHMAN:
God have pity on me!
YAKIMANIAC:
And me?
SHILOHMAN:
On me! On me! Pity! On me!
YAKIMANIAC:
Og!
SC:
What is it? Who is it?
SHILOHMAN:
Is it Og?
YAKIMANIAC:
At last! Reinforcements at last!
SC:
Help!
SHILOHMAN:
Is it Og?
YAKIMANIAC:
We were beginning to weaken. Now we're sure to see the evening out.
SC:
Help!
SHILOHMAN:
Do you hear him?
YAKIMANIAC:
We are no longer alone, waiting for the night, waiting for Og, waiting for . . . waiting. All evening we have struggled, unassisted. Now it's over. It's already tomorrow.
SC:
Help!
YAKIMANIAC:
Time flows again already. The sun will set, the moon rise, and we away . . . from here.
SC:
Pity!
YAKIMANIAC:
Poor SC!
SHILOHMAN:
I knew it was him.
YAKIMANIAC:
Who?
SHILOHMAN:
Og.
YAKIMANIAC:
But it's not Og.
SHILOHMAN:
It's not Og?
YAKIMANIAC:
It's not Og.
SHILOHMAN:
Then who is it?
YAKIMANIAC:
It's SC.
SC:
Here! Here! Help me up!
YAKIMANIAC:
He can't get up.
SHILOHMAN:
Let's go.
YAKIMANIAC:
We can't.
SHILOHMAN:
Why not?
YAKIMANIAC:
We're waiting for Og.
SHILOHMAN:
Ah!


(Adapted from a play by S. Beckett)

8 Comments:

Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

I should have been looking over my sermon notes this morning but I had to see if there was anything new in the quadblog and I was rewarded with your brilliant tragicomedy. This is really funny and it put me in a wonderful mood to leave for church. I know you're still sleeping but you deserve it; I was sleeping while you labored on this excellent piece of art!

5:22 AM  
Blogger OG said...

When I first saw the production in the basement of Fisher, I didn't get it.

Now it makes perfect sense.

OG will return.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Thank you both for your kind comments. It was a labor of...absurdity.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

If that's what it takes to get the OG back, then so be it.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's only words, and words are all I have to take your love away."

Now I see where the Bee Gees were going with this line. But, alas, even with all of their money and fame 2 of the brothers have died. And death came to them both at an early age making Kenneth Lay appear to have lived a long and fruity life.

And somehow we are left waiting for OG. And for death.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Maybe Og is needy. Maybe he wants us to want him. Ha! There is a lyric some where in that. But words are cheap. The trick is to get people to believe them.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mr. Yak,

I noticed in your last comment on this posting that you seem to have left a secret message for those of us who have eyes to see. You used the words "cheap" and "trick" in close proximity. But what does Cheap Trick have to do with the lyric and the absence of OG?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

You crack me up! Seriously, I can't even type. You are one funny guy. There is no hidden meaning, I was just trying to string words together to get in the words you have identified. I was having a Mooney stream-of-consciousness moment.

"And when the Michigan congregants saw him coming to them, they said of him, 'Behold a pastor indeed, in whom is no guile!'"

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home