Monday, May 01, 2006

Immigrants I Have Known

Munir A.

One Saturday as I was working in my yard I noticed a man in a truck down at the corner dumping black plastic garbage bags down off the road embankment. In a huff of righteous indignation I half-ran, half-walked to confront him. As I closed the distance I could see that the bags were full of lawn clippings. I could also see this wasn’t his first offense.

I said, (something to this effect) "Hey! You can’t dump here. This is my neighborhood and you can’t dump here!"
He made a feeble defense.
"How would you like it if I came and dumped my trash in your neighborhood? The County has a no dumping law and you can’t dump here!"
More feeble attempts.
He was a small man with an anxious look. A kind of swarthy Gollum from The Lord of the Rings.
“You can’t dump here!”
And so it continued until he had picked up his bags and left.

A week later Mrs. Yak answered the doorbell and encountered a small swarthy man with an eager smile and bright dark eyes.
"I am Munir. You called for my ad? I come to give estimate for cutting your grass"
"Yes I saw your ad. Would you like to take a look at the yard?"
"Yes. Can I ask question?"
"Sure."
"Do you have husband? He very tall?"
"Yeah, he’s pretty tall..."
"He have, how you say, salt and pepper hair?"
"Yes."
"Oh he’s a hard man. A very, very hard man!"
"Why would you say that?"
"I was down there in my truck..."

Mrs. Yak got the full story.
Munir got the job and as he left was heard muttering, "A very hard man..."

When I got home Mrs. Yak told me she had hired this very nice Israeli—with a puzzling story—to mow our lawn. We had a good laugh and dubbed him the "Abu Nidal Lawn Service" after the infamous terrorist and founder of Fatah to whom is attributed numerous atrocities during the 80’s, one of which triggered the Israeli invasion of Lebanon.

It turned out that Munir was a Christian and at the encouraging of some Arab-Americans in our church, I invited him to a men’s bible study. Alas, his grasp of English would not allow him to continue.

Munir mowed our lawn faithfully every week for several years. (And he hauled off the clippings.) Except one day, November 1st to be exact, he missed his appointment. He came the next day to apologize and explain that he couldn’t mow this day either because it had started to snow. Mrs. Yak informed him that she had planned on the lawn being cut one last time before winter and that he had better hurry before the snow piled up. Mowing in the first snowfall of the season Munir was heard to say, "A hard woman. A very, very hard woman!"

We lost track of Munir after we had to trim our household expenses one year. I’m sure he moved on to bigger and better opportunities. As most immigrants do.

12 Comments:

Blogger OG said...

If I only had a dollar for every time someone yelled "you can't dump here" at me!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I only had a dollar for every time I got upset with someone and it came back around to bite me.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

I don't think dumping his grass clippings in your neighborhood was a very Christian thing to do. You tried to help him in his sanctification. At least you invited him to a Bible study. I would say you handled that rather well, wouldn't you?

8:05 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Shilohdude,

You're so affirming to everyone. Can you think of anything positive to say about the fact that I made the guy mow our lawn while it was snowing?????

Mrs. Yak

9:25 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Mrs. Yak,

I can help you with this. It falls under the heading of edifying a brother. "Though your sins be as scarlet they shall be whiter than snow in Yukimoo."

10:17 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Thank you. I KNEW I could count on you! ;-)

Mrs. Yak

11:34 AM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

Are you really serious about posting my sermons on Shilohman? I can't tell if you're teasing the non-attenders of church among us or if you would really think it worthwhile to put the sermons on the blog. Naturally, that is where the majority of my writing time goes!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

[For you faithful readers out there who find it hard to follow our beloved Shilohman’s blog-jumping, the preceding comment is in response to a comment that I made on his blog at http://theshilohman.blogspot.com/.]

My dear Cardinal Shilohman. I was quite serious about you posting your sermons on your blog. Of course the content of your blog is entirely up to you but since you are going to that much work every week anyway, what better way or what better content to fill up cyberspace? The blogosphere needs to hear from an emerging, amillennial, adults-only-baptizing, Calvinist, adult beverage-swilling, authority-questioning, Democrat, Firebird-driving, professor-tormenting, mid-western pastor.

An additional suggestion would be to post a rough draft ahead of your Sunday morning delivery so the Quadblog could offer helpful critique, all aided by the working of the Spirit of course. The Yaks could help with the theological and the practical, the SC & YB with the jokes and creative asides, and Oggie with the relational and the legalese. A match made in heaven especially for your emergent congregation!

Give it some thought. Take your time. Pray it over but don’t tell your congregants. That way you can take credit for all the brilliance.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

What a great idea! You mean I could possibly get the ShilohFolks to laugh at my jokes? With SC and YB writing my material, how could I lose. They are both very postmodern whether they admit it or not.

By the way, Shiloh's new website is coming up any minute now. You'll be able to get streaming audio too!

www.theshilohtree.com

8:24 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

Well, I guess you persuaded me to be vulnerable and take a step of faith. You can check out tonight's post on Shilohman when you have TIME! I'm just afraid it may persuade you not to attend Shiloh when you are out here!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Response to first comment:
I quite agree. The entire Mooney family was postmodern before social historians discovered postmodernism. They could have been the first pre-postmodern American family in the modern age. (And now I have a headache.)

Thank you for the link to Shiloh Tree. I like the new site a lot. The streaming audio is very cool. Can pod casts be far behind? Soon I will be able to go to church and never leave my garage. I believe that's post-postmodern!

Response to second comment:
I am headed to your blog now. I highly doubt I will be dissuaded but the baptism scenes looked pretty scary. Will I need to be a very good swimmer?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Yaksters,

I love the new category you've put us in--"Pre-Postmodern." Now, that you've introduced a new category exclusively made up of Mooneys, can we just call it "Moodern?" Then, anything major in the way of Philosophy that comes after us would be called, "Post-Moodern."

It also works for dairy cows who have lost their vocal chords.(Oh no!
That sounds like a Mark joke. I'm losing it fast kids!)

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home