Thursday, January 25, 2007

There's No Place Like Home Away from Home


For most of my Wheaton years I lived in dorms. As a freshman I was in Fischer Hall of course. In those days all freshmen were. It was a big impersonal Bauhaus of brick and glass. In spite of that I made many life-long friends and vivid memories there.

My second year was in a first floor, corner room at McManis Hall. This wonderful, long-in-the-tooth building was like a smelly old shoe that you just can’t bring yourself to discard—dumpy but comfortable. It was here that the YB of the SC and I forged our friendship, cried over lost love and grew to manhood accompanied by David Bowie and Steely Dan. Our window opened on the quad and many a friend would poke his or her head in to say “Hi” on the way to the dining hall.

Part of a year I lived with a group of upper classmen in a little suburb north of Wheaton called Carol Stream in a derelict one level rambler across from the Jewell-Osco and adjacent to the Theosophical Society. It had a pool. Since I was the low man on the totem pole I had a room in the basement. It was partitioned off with unfinished plywood and it flooded from time to time but it was quiet and I could come and go as I pleased. With my bed up on blocks the occasional damp was little more than a nuisance. I had a pool! My mother visited me that year. I could tell by the expression on her face that she was not impressed by the pool.

One summer I decided to stay at school and take classes. I worked at a Victoria Station as a bus boy in a nearby town. This was a very popular restaurant chain in the 70’s that unfortunately went bankrupt. I lived in an ugly, high-density apartment complex in Carol Stream. It was here that I became acquainted with the Shilohman (not known by that name then). I’m quite sure he disapproved of me; possibly because of the women I kept bringing to the apartment to watch late-night TV. We are fast friends now but at the time I didn’t care much what he thought. I figured that any guy who needed an explanation that he had his morning “shower, (bleep) and shave” routine in the wrong order had much bigger problems than a wayward roommate. On second thought I think that was our other roommate, Rick. He was kind of confused. Some years after graduation Rick sent a letter to the Wheaton Alumni Association claiming he was deceased.

None of these can compare to my senior year accommodations. The YB invited me to be his roomie again after a long hiatus. I’m certain he missed me, having fallen in with an eclectic band of scoundrels in a place called Washington House. I was only there during the fall and winter quarters because I graduated early and returned home in the spring. But it was a magical place. On the corner of Washington and College Ave, this run-down, two story wood-frame house became the center of my universe. It was directly across from Front Campus so we could walk to class. It had a yard, shade trees and plenty of parking in back. But most of all there was YB (“Moon” in those days) and Lower and Reeser and Veen and a devious chemist named JT who almost got me kicked out of school. We had a runt of a dog named Earl. Reeser would take Earl to class where he was treated as a celebrity. Earl did not like anyone with a swarthy complexion which got awkward when an African-American boyfriend came calling on the girl upstairs. Moon and I had a basement room with a gas firebox. We would turn up the heat just to watch the flames. In the morning we were thankful not to have asphyxiated during the night.

We furnished the place with some very nice things from French House. We heard that French House was to be demolished so we showed up one night before Building & Grounds could clean it out. We naturally thought that all the furniture should stay together. Strangely, no one noticed us carrying all those over-stuffed couches and chairs across campus.

It was here in Washington House that we played ELO at the highest volume ever recorded on a home stereo system in Dupage County.

It was here in this marvelous house after studying all night for a Shakespeare test that I had a dream entirely in Middle English.

It was Washington House where I took refuge after participating in one of the most successful and infamous pranks in Wheaton College history.

It was here, observing Lower dye his mustache, that I learned the meaning of the word vanity.

It was to Washington House where my soon-to-be-bride and my freshman younger brother would come to find out if the reason for my absence from chapel was asphyxiation.

And finally, because of Washington House I was, at last, able to attain the lofty status of BMOC. This was the obvious stature of anyone living in such a wonderful place. Sadly, Washington House was torn down to make room for an annex building of College Church. It will live forever in my memory as the best home away from home.

17 Comments:

Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Let's not forget that Reeser's dog "Earl" was named after the SC & YB's father...

Mrs. Yak

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to share this post with every person, whether living or dead, who ever had any connection to WC. It captures everything perfectly and I can't believe you own such a fine picture of the house. You could have been a professional photographer for real estate magazines for goodness sake.

Thanks for the memories...!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yak, this is incredible. Unfortunately you didn't include any pictures of the WC (water closet) which was such a pleasure. And who can forget the lovely presents left behind by the field hockey girls. Yes, four of the best years of my life were spent at WC with Washington House being the crowning moment.

Learning to cook with Seamans. Having deep discussions with TM. Listening to stories of adventure on the pipeline from whoever he was. Seeing women come and go but in the end they became wifes of Yak, YB and TM. Yes those were some heady days.

Earl, what a disturbed dog, but can you blame him. With a name like that, what do you expect. As he grew older and more disturbed, not only did he dislike people of color, but people in general. Long live Earl!

Yak, thanks again for a walk down memory lane.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Reeser, welcome to the quad blog! It's very good to hear from you! As I was writing this post I had the thought that YB might send it to some of the old gang hoping someone would fill in the gaps in my memory. I didn't mean to leave anyone out like Seamans. I just couldn't remember everyone. In fact I took a stab at Veen being there. I have more pictures of those days but it will take me an age to find them.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Yak,

My primary memory of Washington house is that twice it was a safe house for me and one or two other guys when pranks went terribly wrong. Once we were painting the steps of MSC when the campus cop showed up unannounced. The other time it had something to due with "borrowing" a piano from Pierce Chapel/The Conservatory. Don't ask.

I don't remember having any problem with the girls you had at the apartment that summer. In fact, I don't remember the girls. In fact, I hardly remember you living there! I suspect I was madly in love and was hardly ever there anyway. The girls Sweetser brought over were another story. Where did he find them?

Good post! Thanks for creating an atmosphere for good memories!

Moorhead

Oh, hey Reeser! It's been a long time!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Smoking Christian said...

Do you ever wonder why our minds are constantly tempted to go back and live again in college? For those of us lucky enough, it was the last time we enjoyed total freedom from want and worry. All you had to do is take a test now and then, write a few papers. I had a job but every cent I made went for "party favors."

From day one, I knew that would be the best time of my life. I learned that Santa Barbara is most beautiful in the Winter. I hiked every day, ran with track stars from Kenya and didn't have an ounce of lard on my body.

I always looked at graduation like most "unsaved" look at death. I knew it was the end. Why couldn't our parents support us like that for the rest of our lives? What was wrong with those people?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

SC,
You are oh so right. When I was at the Mt. Zion of Evangelical Learning I once complained to my brother-in-law of the terrible stress of finals and packing for home and such. He just laughed at me and said, "This is the best time of your life!" He was just starting a family and a career. It's a good thing someone much older didn't field that question and tell me about unfulfilling work, tyrant bosses, office politics, unemployment, marriage, children, teenagers, wacko in-laws, mortgages, debt, surly neighbors, church politics, disease, broken dreams and the loss of loved ones. (Just to name a few because I am actually a happy guy.) This is why I keep telling my son, "This is the best time of your life!" As he faces the job market, graduation, his wedding and finding a place to live I think he is starting to understand.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Marriage? There's NOTHING stressful about your marriage.

Mrs. Yak

10:19 AM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

That was a comment by my lovely bride, aka "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed."

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a flood of good memories Yak. Remember the surprise birthday party? After we barbequed steaks on the back steps of the future Mrs. Yak’s dreadful apartment (in sub-zero temps), you manufactured some ruse to get me to go to Washington House where the gang lay in wait. It was touched, even though the party started to resemble a scene from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” when YB cranked the stereo started his rendition of “I’m just a singer in a rock and roll band.”

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction, I was touched, not the party or those in attendance. Although...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Ooo, that's a good one YB of Yak! I remember the BBQ behind Mrs. Yak's apartment but sadly I do not remember the B-day celebration. I'm glad you remembered. YB of SC, do you recall this?

Mrs. Yak wants to know if Anne #1 was with YB-Yak or YB-SC that night. Or was it Anne #2? I'm so confused!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I see some pictures to arouse my memory?

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had stayed with your original plan to capture very unusual stuff from the SC and post it on your site once he had removed such stuff you would have really captured a winner today...but, no you're too busy planning a wedding!

Ok, ok, how can you decide what is unusual on the SC? Today was one of the most obvious relics of this breed that one will ever find (and now it is gone, but perhaps this will keep him out of prison a bit longer).

6:01 PM  
Blogger Yakimaniac said...

Dear YB of the murderous SC,

We didn't miss a thing. The post has been turned over to the Fullerton Police Department. You can be sure that though unemployed, your Bro is sure to get 3 square meals a day for a long, long time.

Mrs. Yak

P.S. How does he look in orange?

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My faith has been restored, renewed and dusted off...I only wish I had read your last comment prior to posting my murderous diatribe on the SC just moments earlier.

The 4 blogs are a little like a meal. The appetizer could be PA, the salad/soup could be Shilohman, the main course has to be the plentiful SC and the dessert is, of course the OG (since he writes so infrequently we will all cut way back on our calories this way).

2:06 PM  
Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

I want to be the before and after dinner cocktails!

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home